Strawberry Shortcake Trifles
Yield: 12 Servings
- Cake: 2 cups Flour
- Cake: 3 tbsp. Cornstarch
- Cake: ½ tsp. Salt
- Cake: ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- Cake: ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- Cake: ¾ cup Softened Butter
- Cake: 1 ½ cups Sugar
- Cake: 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- Cake: 4 Large Eggs
- Cake: 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
- Cake: 1 cup Sour Cream
- Strawberry Layer: 2 lbs. Friedensfeld Strawberries diced [Plus 12 more for decorating]
- Cream Layer: 2 cups Heavy Cream
- Cream Layer: 6 oz. Softened Cream Cheese
- Cream Layer: ½ tsp. Vanilla
- Cream Layer: ¾ cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. In a bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and baking powder for 20 seconds. Set aside bowl.
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip together butter, sugar, and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time then mix in vanilla. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix just until combined and then add in ½ of the sour cream and mix just until combined, then repeat with flour and sour cream once more then end by mixing the last 1/3 of the flour mixture and mixing just until combined. Spread the batter evenly into the baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-24 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool cut into 24 circles the size on your dessert cups. You will have a little cake left over which you can chill or freeze to serve later with fresh fruit and whipping cream!
- For the strawberry layer; dice strawberries.
- For the cream layer; in a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. In a separate mixing bowl whip cream cheese until smooth, add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese mixture to heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble trifles; place 12 cake rounds in 12 fairly tall dessert cups. Add a spoonful of strawberries over each cake round. Put cream mixture to a piping bag lifted with a large round tip and pipe cream mixture over strawberry layer. Repeat layering process once more. Decorate each with a fresh strawberry. Serve within an hour for best results [the cake can be made a day in advance and covered, just wait to prepare the cream mixture and strawberries until almost ready to serve].