Fresh Strawberry Pie
Yield: 8 Servings
- Crust: 1 ¼ cups Flour
- Crust: ½ tsp. Sugar
- Crust: ¼ tsp. Salt
- Crust: ½ cup Butter [chilled and diced]
- Crust: ¼ cup Ice Water [you may do less]
- Filling: 4-6 cups Fresh Friedensfeld Strawberries
- Filling: 1 cup Water
- Filling: 1 cup Sugar
- Filling: 3 oz. Box of Strawberry Jell-O
- Filling: 3 tbsp. Cornstarch
- Begin with very cold butter, you can put it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Dice it with a knife into cubes about 1/3 inch across, they don’t have to be exact.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water a tablespoon at a time and mix swiftly and gently.
- Add just enough water to allow the dough to form into a loose ball.
- Flatten the dough into disks, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll the dough out to the desired size [12-13 inch for a 9-inch pie pan] on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
- Turn it frequently to maintain its shape and prevent sticking.
- Gently roll it over the rolling pin and transfer to your pie pan.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Trim dough to a 1-inch overhang using kitchen shears, fold under, and seal to form a rim, then crimp the rim with fingertips and knuckle.
- Using a fork poke holes at the bottom of pie.
- Wrap the plastic wrap and set in the fridge or freezer.
- The dough must be well chilled before baking.
- Add some aluminum foil or parchment paper onto the dough then weigh it down with rice, dried beans, or pie weights.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375ᵒF for 20-30 min. or until golden brown, then remove the foil or parchment.
- You can brush the entire shell with egg wash and bake a little longer. [The egg wash helps make a pie shell shiny and golden, but it also seals the bottom of the pie shell and prevents the filling from making the crust soggy]
- Cool completely and set aside.
- Filling: Bake pie crust in 9-inch deep pie dish and set aside to cool.
- Filling: Put the water, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Filling: Whisk constantly until it becomes thick. About 3 minutes.
- Filling: Then whisk in the Jell-O and cook for a minute longer.
- Filling: Remove from the heat and let cool for about 15 min.
- Filling: As the glaze cools, place strawberries straight into the pie crust.
- Filling: Pour the glaze over the strawberries.
- Filling: Refrigerate until set.
You can decorate with whipping cream before serving.